Wednesday 19 March 2014

a conduit of creativity

One inimitable lady keeps rolling across my eyeballs these days, and let me tell you, these baby blues ain't complaining.  Erin Wasson, tomboy, powerhouse, oracle of wisdom, fountain of cool.  But never, no never, a muse.

Her southern ways, her legs for days - it's no wonder the world can't get enough of this beauty.  Her style's no slacker either, a little leather, a little southwest and a whole lotta denim elicit more than the appreciative murmur.  Riotous applause it is, from one Texan to another and all to the rhythm of her stomping cowboy boots.

But like most, the best bit's the inside. Visit some nuggets of thought from her rebel soul - they outshine even that spectacular facade.

- "You know, my whole thing is being a conduit of creativity. It sounds totally esoteric and hippie, but the more things that you can do to challenge yourself, test yourself, and find a new medium of creativity…I’m all about it. I don’t believe in being a ‘muse,’ though. That whole concept is a fleeting moment. It’s not a person that inspires you, it’s someone that’s personifying a bigger picture—it’s not the actual person, you know? There is no way one person walking this earth can forever and always be a muse to anyone. Everything’s fleeting in life, like every, single, solitary thing…"

- "My mom says that I was always making things. But clothing? Not so much. Clothing is disposable; it’s made out of fibers. Jewelry is alchemy: throw it in the bottom of the ocean, it’s still there. And trends are scary. I think they totally hold us by golden handcuffs. It’s really unfortunate that women feel…that we have this desire to covet things that might personify something we’re trying to gain access to. But it’s like, you can’t get the access to it without the experience, itself."

- "I think beauty is all in your head at the end of the day. I’m a hippie of the heart, because I don’t smell like patchouli. [Laughs] I think that if you’re a hippie you just understand that everything is always bigger than you at any given time; it’s never really about you. There’s always a bigger picture."

- "I don’t have a grand plan with my tattoos, never. I’m the girl who just thinks up something as I’m walk into a tattoo parlor and I’m getting it an hour later. I believe in ornamentation of the body… I believe if you feel it, you should just do it. Don’t overanalyze anything in life too much—you’ll make yourself crazy." 

[Read the whole fascinating interview on Into the Gloss.]
















[Image sources here, here and here.]

Same flavor, different powerhouse.  I'm leaving you with Janis to inspire your afternoon.
(I do believe Ms. Erin would approve.)  




-xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me anything!